[governance] net neutrality and mobiles

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Sep 23 02:38:23 EDT 2010

There are some interesting permutations here ­ and just as we seem to be
having some difficulties deciding what internet governance means perhaps we
also have some difficulties with these new developments deciding what the
Internet means.

One of the issues is that we consider the Internet to include its content ­
this is obvious from our discussions covering copyright or child safety or a
range of other issues as internet policy and/or governance issues. But the
same content could be on an internet web site at the same time as it is a
television broadcast, a CD, or on the other end of things, a SMS message or
a phone call. It stretches things of course if we decide that all of these
are actually the internet ­ in that case broadcasting and communications
have ceased to exist and there is one ubiquitous media which covers
everything in this sphere.

So if a piece of content is accessed via a television, is it internet
content? Probably not (unless you create a subset of tv content called iptv
and decide it is somehow different). And that just creates another set of
confusions.

Similarly, is content accessed via a mobile phone app internet content ­
even if it is also on the internet (eg Facebook?). If a content database
delivers to phones without interfacing with TCP/IP networks at any point
(and this is certainly possible) - whats it got to do with the Internet,
(even if the same content is simultaneously available on a website)?

There are lots of questions here ­ if via my mobile phone I access Facebook
from a browser, is that in some way different from a policy point of view to
if I access the content via an app from a simultaneously generated database
hosted by my mobile carrier ­ and with no internet protocol use whatsoever?

I think this is the dilemma we face with converging media and with a loose
definition of the internet which includes its content. Its also the problem
we face if we define the internet by a certain technical protocol.

Old ground, I know ­ but it is becoming increasingly relevant to start to
figure out what we mean by the internet (and therefore by internet
governance). Wikipedia and most sources still use definitions of computer
networks to define the internet - when the world has changed. I cant find a
sensible definition  out there.

Ian Peter