[governance] net neutrality and mobiles

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 23 02:07:36 EDT 2010

On Thursday 23 September 2010 11:23 AM, McTim wrote:

>> >  agreement).
>> >
>> >  Customised handsets take one directly to a telecom operator controlled
>> >  portal,
>>
> You mean like Compuserve and AOL in the early days of the commercial
> Internet?  Nothing new under the sun I'm afraid.

Yes, i mean the same..... Only, this time they are much smarter and have
done enough to get there act right.

In so many ways it is not the same Internet environment as at those
early times - it is not the same kinds of possibilities on the Internet
and not same  kind of services, not the same level of attention paid by
all biggies to the Internet system as the only future, and not the same
kind of users......

Just to give one example of the very much changed circumstances and the
acute consolidation of market power, I quote from a recent email by
Vittorio on the At Large mailing  list

    ".....(at least here in Italy) for the
    generation aged 15-25 Facebook === Internet. Most of them don't even
    have an email address any more (let alone blogs or personal websites),...."

Without early policy intervention, I have no doubt that their (the new
Compuserve's and AOL's of the mobile Internet world) model will win out
and will be the dominant one in the market.... Parminder