[governance] a good read

Meryem Marzouki meryem at marzouki.info
Wed Sep 22 16:38:03 EDT 2010

I agree that "Internet governance" is probably inappropriate as it
leads to many (largely encouraged) ambiguities, but I also think
"Internet public policy" doesn't capture the complexity of what is
meant - for better or for worse - by "Internet governance",
especially in the global context.
I attended this workshop co-organized by IISD at IGF and it was clear
to me that both IISD and the invited speakers at this workshop still
needs to understand what we are talking about, and who's involved in
the field.
Proposing to use the term "Internet public policy" in this context
attests for the misunderstanding. One cannot simply transpose the
'public' and 'public policy' concepts that are defined in a national,
sovereign, regalian context, to a transnational, largely privately
ordered, context. This has nothing to do with the need for policies
oriented towards the general interest or the public interest: it is
an issue of how to define the polity in this new context. I'm always
puzzled at some people's easy speak of 'transnational democracy':
transnational, I understand what this means; powers, I see where they
are and even how they transform and recompose; but where the hell is
the demos?! "We, the not so happy few"?
We should be more careful with concepts.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org