[governance] FYI - ITU

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 11:44:07 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK
<jlfullsack at orange.fr> wrote:

> some answers to the questions raised
>
> In general, intercontinental or continental submarine cables are laid in
> internationl waters and a link is derived from a repeaters or an additionnal
> joint box to the landing station site of the country concerned.
> Festoon (submarine) cables are hopping from country to country and are
> agreedd upon by the respective gouvernments (generally through their
> regulators).
>
> Mc Tim wrote :
>
> < but the WA fibers are only now coming online.>
>
> This isn't true : SAT-3/WASC is in operation since May 2003.

While this is true, i predicated my answer to Avri in terms of the new
cables (that in all fairness you had mentioned, and were the origins
of the "bogeyman"I mentioned previously.

And before
> that, there was SAT-2 and SAT-1 ... in a former life  In the meantime,
> MainONE and Glo-1 are in service

just recently, those are the ones i was referring to.

and others are ready to be lit.
> So, please, update your database

the link I sent is maintained by Steve Song of the Shuttleworth
Foundation, it's not mine.

--
Cheers,

McTim