[governance] More multilingual IGF?

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Thu Sep 16 08:41:35 EDT 2010

In the workshop this morning on Innovative Internet Governance Ideas
and Approaches,
I came to an idea and spoke it -

Why don't we try to make some of the IGF sessions for the next round
more "multi-lingual"?
Depending on the subject and speakers or organizers, some session's
working language
can be Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian or Arabic, all major UN languages.
Current default for almost ALL sessions, main session or workshop or open space
are all done in English as the main/working language while other languages are
translated.

I don't mean to make all equal. Some sessions can use non-English languages
as the primary language, say Spanish on certain cases.

I spoke this idea with Nitin casually and he said nothing prohibits it
from happening.
I am happy to listen more presentations in French, say so long as they are
translated into English.

This may increase the sense of ownership for many non-English speaking
people and also create more level playing field. Real main session can still
remain in English, and also working language as well.

Just a suggestion.

izumi
     governance at lists.cpsr.org