[governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track

krum.jonev at dir.bg krum.jonev at dir.bg
Wed Sep 15 15:09:38 EDT 2010

Sorry for digging this thread up, but there is an update on the topic:

http://domainincite.com/bulgaria-to-appeal-icann-rejection/

"The Bulgarian government will appeal ICANN’s rejection of .бг, its
proposed Cyrillic-script version of the .bg country-code top-level
domain, according to reports.
“We have reasons to hope that our proposal may be accepted by the end
of next year,” Deputy Transport Minister Parvan Rusinov said,
according to Novinite.com.
ICANN rejected the string earlier this year due to its confusing
similarity to Brazil’s ccTLD, .br.
The Bulgarian government conducted a online poll, offering its
citizens the choice of a few lengthier alternatives, but .бг still
came back the winner.
In today’s reports, Rusinov is quoted saying that the government could
either file a modified application, or wait for the launch of an
appeals procedure in 2011.
It does not appear that the IDN ccTLD Fast Track process currently
allows appeals, so I can only assume that such a mechanism is under
consideration as part of the upcoming process review. It has been
rumored.
ICANN doesn’t talk about IDN fast track applications until they are
approved, but Bulgaria’s government has been happily chatting to the
local press for months.
Technology minister Alexander Tsvetkov was quoted back in June saying
that the country would ask ICANN to reconsider its decision. If he
meant a Reconsideration Request, that never happened."

Regards,
Krum

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 14:09:56 +0200

     governance at lists.cpsr.org