[governance] What is RPKI and why should you care about it?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Sep 13 00:50:59 EDT 2010

On Sep 12, 2010, at 10:39 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> Actually I agree with your basic point, and have made it many times myself. A free society does provide innovators (technological or otherwise) the ability/right to act first and tries to impose rules afterwards - the opposite approach (which seems to be the reflexive response of the EU, which is develop rules first, and then wait for industry and society to develop in a way that conforms to the rules) leads to a lack of vibrancy and innovation.
>
> My concern with RPKI is not that "law" is behind "technology," it is that policy decisions with law-like implications could be made without our even noticing it, through certain kinds of technical choices being made now.

Milton -

  Are there particular RPKI technical choices which have
  "law-like implications" of which you are concerned?

  Also, I have yet to hear of an RIR which didn't adhere
  to laws in the region in which it operates, so couldn't
  any such items that emerged be addressed by appropriate
  lawmaking once realized?

/John

John Curran
President and CEO