AW: [governance] RE: WSIS Forum 2011

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 13:47:04 EDT 2010

Yeah... no, ITU involvement in WSIS wasn't an accident. WSIS wouldn't have
seen the light of day were it not for the ITU's resolution at the 1998
plenipotentiary conference in Minneapolis (which then led to the related UN
General Assembly's resolution in 2001). And as far as the UN system as a
whole, ITU is the home and the linchpin of the summit, which is not to say
other UN orgs./bodies do not make decisions related to WSIS and its
follow-up in terms of their respective responsibilities. It'd be a little
bit of stretch to think that because IGF is the summit's most substantial
outcome, it exhausts or fulfills the whole of WSIS agenda as per its
intergovernmental origins.

So I agree with Meryem that each one of those arrangements has their
specific goal commanding different strategies. Obviously if ITU wants to see
the WSIS Forum held at UN-HQ it probably not for the excitement of a visit
at "the Big Apple" but more likely because they hope to mobilize UN
resources to achieve something, notwithstanding the price of sacrificing a
bit of CS participation (in quantity).

Let's also not forget that NYC is the single capital where (due to UN) the
largest diplomatic body from across the world is concentrated or converges
(sorry, that's not the case for Geneva as some may want to believe). And
although we're getting used to "multistakeholderism," the UN's GA -- where
those diplomats convene, discuss, negotiate and vote -- is still the
ultimate authoritative body to make decisions before anything of a global
legitimacy (exit, the security council) is enacted in the name of the UN. So
it may also just be that at a critical juncture when important decisions may
have to be made by all or a large section of those diplomats about WSIS, it
is simple pragmatism to secure their participation and a chance for them to
fully understand the issues (now, that may not justify a *permanent*
transfer to NYC, see last paragr. below).

CS can still do two things: i) strategize in order to get its inclusively
prepared quality input through, wherever a relevant meeting takes place
--especially for a crucial one as may be the 2011's WSIS Forum; ii)
continuously voice the need to take special/additional measures to
facilitate visas for a global CS to the meetings.

Propositions could also be made as a compromise between ITU's current choice
and Wolfgang's suggestion: 1. alternate every year between the chosen UN
base and other places around the world; 2. rotate around the world with the
possibility any year to host it back at UN HQ or in other UN capital if the
agenda and schedule of international affairs make the venue potentially
favorable to the Forum's order of business; 3. rotate between UN capitals;
4. etcetera.

Best,
Mawaki