AW: [governance] RE: WSIS Forum 2011

Meryem Marzouki meryem at marzouki.info
Tue Sep 7 04:31:09 EDT 2010

Le 7 sept. 10 à 08:25, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang a écrit :

> ICANN is travelling around the world doing outreach, IGF is
> travelling around the world doing outreach, why the WSIS Forum,
> which needs outreach, should stay in traditional places?

Because, and this is obvious, they are of a different nature and they
have different objectives.

- ICANN is a private organization which attendance is mainly
corporate business organizations, and has the needed money to bring
some CS on board (seatbelt fastened).

- IGF is still an UFO (institutionally speaking) which raison d'etre
is heavily relying on CS (and IGOs). Conversely, CS and IGOs find it
the unique place where they may rise their profile in the IG and
related fields.
Both ICANN and IGF, in order to justify the necessity of their
existence and unicity, *have* to reach out to (or to organize
meetings in, at least) different countries [on a side note, who can
seriously state that IGF 2009 has changed anything in Egypt re: IG
matters?]

- WSIS Forum is the (recently) institutionalized follow-up to WSIS,
which was, if I'm not wrong, a UN intergovernmental process led by
the ITU (and this was by no mean an accident, contrarily to what
someone said on this list). Since the end of WSIS, well before
becoming the "WSIS Forum", it has been struggling for its existence
and necessity and for taking over the other two. Now, what it needs
is certainly not to travel around the world, but to seat itself as
such at the UN headquarters (which is in NYC).

ICANN showing its own well know problems, and considering the fact
that whether it travels around the world or not, this doesn't change
the essence of the organization and its decisions, let's talk about
IGF and WSIS Forum:

The former is more inclusive, but is toothless, the latter is likely
to mainstream IG issues and make decisions, but is above all an
intergovernmental process, in pure UN sense.
CS may be part of both, but probably not showing the same profile
(and consequently not the same framing of issues) at each venue. It's
not necessarily about the height of this profile, but really about
its orientation (susbtance) and its nature (mainly CSOs or mainly
individuals).

In my opinion, there is the strategic choice. Not in counting CS
participation from different countries at one venue or the other.

As regards IGOs, they can survive (in this field) only at IGF.

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org