[governance] Historical aside (Was: Results of poll on IGF opening and closing)

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Fri Sep 10 11:29:52 EDT 2010

Hi

In search of nominally justifiable grounds for procrastinating on organizing presentations, this exchange prodded me to blow an hour digging through saved mail from the early days…a fairly amusing exercise to given all that's followed.  Hopefully, some day someone will take the time to write a good history of the IGC.

There are some interesting bits that Wolfgang's message doesn't pick up on.  One is that this

> 2010/8/1 "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>
> The more formal proposal from the CS was drafted by Bill and me on behalf of the CS Internet Governance Caucus at PrepCom3 in September 2003 in Geneva, long before the WGIG was created and proposed the launch of the IGF.

is not quite accurate, as for I think about four months we were called the ICT Global Governance Caucus, and it was under that rubric that we did the above mentioned input to the Geneva 12/03 CS declaration.  We switched back to IGC at the Geneva summit when we finally got consensus that IG was much broader than CIR. Long story short, lots of arguments early on about broad vs narrow definitions and what should be within the caucus' scope...

Since it's actually in front of me at the moment, in case anyone has ever wondered why this list is hosted by Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility, which is no longer active in the field: Hans Klein and I (both CPSR at the time) organized a side event workshop at PrepCom 2 in February 2003 on Global Communications Governance (first bullet of my power point says, "'Governance'  is not synonymous with the management of Internet identifiers"…harbinger of arguments to come) which led to a group of people talking about a caucus on that in parallel with the CIR-oriented IG caucus Wolfgang and YJ launched from the prepcom, and then to the message below (I assume Hans won't mind me sharing).  After further discussion on scope etc the list was tossed up a few days later, and YJ kicked off the discussion here (3/31/03 in the archives).

Ok, back to work,

Bill