[governance] Was: Results of poll on IGF opening and closing speakers

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Fri Sep 10 10:16:42 EDT 2010

I would like to echo with what Wolfgang wrote, as being heavily
involved with the
WSIS Geneva and Tunis preparation processes to push civil society participation
into the decision making process of WSIS itself, and therefore,
pushing "multi-stakeholder"
principle, as the core principle of the Information society as a
whole, no just for the
Internet Governance, which is of course very important.

In the early days of WSIS I prep com, civil society (and private
sector and international
organizations, too) are put into the very back seat physically, given
limited time (30 min
per day, mostly, 15 min eachin the beginning and end of a session),
and only limited
exception was allowed for some urgent moment. Yet, somehow, Civil
society, under IGC
and other caucuses effort, has gained more recognition, gradually, which led the
Tunis declaration putting civil society in a official recognition,
though "equal footing"
was replaced at the last moment by "with respective roles and
responsibilities" (or something
like that). Then when WGIW was being formed, civil society again took
strong initiative
to forward nominations to the WGIG, and got 14 people there out of 40,
more than one
third of the members, which was a great surprise even for the civil society.
AND, as WGIG made its work, many CS members contributed a lot, and
that left very
positive impression and understandings by the government members of
the WGIG, as
well as to the WSIS Tunis process which gave birth to IGF, again as
multi-stakeholder
body, almost first of its kind in UN history, somebody told me.

I also agree with Wolfgang that moving the IGF secretariat to New York
is very strategic,
and trying to erase the multi-stakeholder working principle, the very
core of IGF, together
with the spirit. It's not physical question of NY or Geneva, but more
sensitive matters
behind, I believe.

Or, it is more important to keep the multistakeholder principle, in
the working mode,
not just spirit, for the next IGF round, than just saying Geneva or
New York. It is not
just for the civil society (and core activists), but for the whole
globe, as Internet is
used by so many different stakeholders and no single sector can and should take
control, it's the best and only way to make its governance efficient,
effective and
legitimate.

As Wolfgang wrote about WSIS Forum by ITU, rotating in five (or more) regions of
the globe sounds much better than moving to NY.

Well, see you in Vilnius soon, for those who can travel to.
I will leave Tokyo tomorrow morning, arrive at Vilnius Sunday afternoon.

izumi

                                  Japan
                                 * * * * *
           << Writing the Future of the History >>