[governance] Results of poll and the two IGF speeches

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 11:11:02 EDT 2010

Dear Jeremy, dear all,

I think the co-coordinators make perfect sense. and the poll method has been
very useful as a thermometer. Regarding the topics, some suggestions :

- I suggest that when drafting the speeches, you u*se the ranking of the
various themes* not as indication of some been kept and others dropped but
rather *as an indication of the length of the paragraphs that should be
devoted to each* : all issues are worth mentioning and the fact that gender
for instance only has 12 % does not prevent from making a short paragraph
about it (because it is indeed important); having two speeches allows to
cover most ground
- it would probably be interesting to focus t*he opening on the more
substantive topics* (UDHR, and most of the "novel ones", even if IANA or net
neutrality are not completely new) in order to produce food for thought for
the rest of the week. As you've often heard me say, the best way to get
consensus in the IGC and to have a positive impact in the discussions is to
focus on the framing of each problem and fundamental principles rather than
advocating for a specific solution (as in many cases CS is not of a uniform
voice). Ginger would probably be best for the opening
- the *closing session could focus more on procedural issues *and looking
forward at the future of the IGF (continuation, "improvements"), the need to
preserve certain fundamental operational principles and more generally the
role of the different stakeholders, in particular civil society in the
upcoming enhanced cooperation discussions. Given his keen interest in those
topics, I suppose Jeremy would be the most suited to it. It also leaves some
time during the IGF to polish the positionning (on site and online) and take
into account some of the comments and discussions that will take place.
Please do not forget to include the item "congratulating the IGF" along
possible recommendations for change. Even if there is ample room for
improvement, this is still a fragile experiment that deserves some
protection and has established (as wolfgang rightly highlighted) a pattern
of interaction unavailable anywhere else.

I hope this helps and trusts that we'll have a good IGF.

Looking forward to seeing many of you soon.

Best

Bertrand

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> The results are as follows.  128 responses were received, 117 in full and
> the balance in part (ie. only one of the two questions), from 463
> invitations sent.  This is a response rate of 27.6%, which is reasonable by
> IGC standards, bearing in mind that some people are subscribed twice or more
> under different addresses, and that we have some lurkers, eg. from the IGF
> Secretariat, who do not participate in the IGC's consensus decision-making.
>
> I'll take the results question by question.  On the first question, there
> was a clear enough view that Ginger and I, as the IGC coordinators, should
> take the opening and closing slots; this was also the only choice supported
> by more than half the respondents.  Parminder and Wolfgang were next most
> common choices.  Karen Banks and Valeria Betancourt were the women who
> received the most support, though with less than one third of respondents
> for either of them.
>
> Therefore I will be recommending to the IGF Secretariat that Ginger and I
> speak.  If they do not agree with this, then I will suggest that Parminder
> and Valeria speak (although Karen received equal support, Valeria pips Karen
> on geographical diversity - sorry Karen).
>
> Here are the percentage breakdowns for the first question (sorry, this may
> look bad if your email program doesn't support HTML):
>
>  *Which four names should be put forward as civil society speakers? * *
> Answer* *Count* *Percentage* Fouad Bajwa (a) 3325.78%   Fatimata Seye
> Sylla (b) 2821.88%   Valeria Betancourt (c) 3628.12%   Wolfgang
> Kleinwachter (d) 5542.97%   Parminder Jeet Singh (e) 6450.00%   Co-coordinators
> (Jeremy Malcolm and Ginger Paque) (f) 75 58.59%   Karen Banks (g) 3628.12%
>   Ben Akoh (h) 1713.28%   Katitza Rodriguez (i) 3225.00%   Marilia Maciel
> (available for opening only) (j) 33 25.78%
> On the second question, the most popular answer was "Involvement of civil
> society in enhanced cooperation model for Internet governance".  There are
> five other answers that were also clearly more popular than the others: the
> development dimension of IG, the retention of the IGF's core
> characteristics, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and the
> desirability of improving inclusion and participation, and the desirability
> that the IGF continue to evolve and innovate.
>
> Leaving aside "Other", there were only three questions that received
> support from less than a third of respondents: congratulating the IGF on its
> successes, the gender dimension and the role of dynamic coalitions.  So
> leaving these aside, all of the available choices of theme were quite
> popular.
>
> Here is the complete breakdown of responses to the second question:
>
>   *What are the top five themes to suggest the speakers address in their
> presentations? * *Answer* *Count* *Percentage* Congratulating the IGF (on
> the completion of its first term, its innovative structure, etc.) (a) 3225.00%   Universal
> [...]

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Délégué Spécial pour la Société de l'Information / Special Envoy for the
Information Society
Ministère des Affaires Etrangères et Européennes/ French Ministry of Foreign
and European Affairs
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")