[governance] FW: Blogpost: Open Data: Empowering the Empowered or

Eric Dierker cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 8 20:32:40 EDT 2010

Paul,

You list 3 criterion for appropriate open data. Let us apply it to a
quasi-governmental international body. This takes out the argument of
competition and presupposes a duty to the public.  It also removes the balancing
act of profit versus corporate citizenry. It also removes nationalistic
motivations and justifications.  So let us use ICANN for the model.

1.  Transparency (gaining information, as in a clean, transparent
windshield allowing us to see) I do not see this in ICANN

2 . Knowledge (good analysis of the data obtained via some form of
transparency - a subject for ongoing education) ICANN clearly uses a propaganda
model as opposed to interractive participatory education.

3.  Remedies (ability to apply knowledge in an effective way via the
courts or publicity or other means in order to alter the external
environment in a beneficial way) ICANN specifically intentionally omits
enforcement clauses in their agreements and specifically denies 3rd party right
to force compliance.

I think we know that as for WHOIS data and Name Transferring Policies and gTLD
selection none of the above is a priority or requirement for ICANN.  So I assume
you are saying that ICANNs' data is unreliable, untrustworthy and bordering on
completely bad?