[governance] WSIS Forum 2011

Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google tracyhackshaw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 11:58:44 EDT 2010

Unfortunately, these Visa challenges extend to the Schengen area for
developing countries as well. Switzerland joined the Schengen
Agreement in 2008.

Costs of travel from Latin America and the Caribbean to Europe remain
prohibitive and the cheapest routes are generally through the US
anyway.

It might also be just a good time as any to advocate for a move of
WSIS to a relatively Visa free area or country.

Panama, therefore, sounds pretty good as a Venue if these things are
even still being considered.

On 9/6/10, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
> Adding to Wolf's quite relevant worries, let us recall as well that
> getting a visa to the USA continues to be a challenge for citizens in
> all developing countries.
>
> frt rgds
>
> --c.a.
>

> On 09/06/2010 12:33 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
>> Dear friends
>>
>> I disagree with the argument that a move from Geneva to to New York of the
>> WSIS Forum 2011 would improve outreach and bring WSIS implementation
>> forward. In contrary I am afraid that a move to NewYork will weaken in
>> particular the involvement of civil society and the academic community as
>> important stakeholders in the WSIS process. A large number of civil
>> society organisations, including represenations of organisations from
>> developing countries, are based in Geneva or not far from Geneva. Moving
>> the event to New York would create additional costs and logistic problems
>> for them which would result in lower participation of civil society
>> organisations. This would certainly undermine the multistakeholder nature
>> of the WSIS implementaiton process.
>>
>> Another risk moving the WSIS Forum 2011 to New York would be that the
>> important WSIS issues would be discussed in the shadow of more important
>> political and security issues which dominate the day to day UN acitvities
>> in New York. The WSIS Forum would be just "another conference" and would
>> have difficulties to get the needed public attention.
>>
>> Finally I want to flag that in same week the European Union has its annual
>> Future of the Internet Week meetings under the Hungarian Presidency in
>> Budapest.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Wolfgang Kleinwächter

> Carlos A. Afonso