[governance] CSTD WG on IGF

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Sep 6 03:28:32 EDT 2010

On Monday 06 September 2010 12:31 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
> Thanks for posting this Parminder... also worth noting that the idea of
> this working group came from civil society. Another instance where a
> civil society proposal (made at the CSTD this year) helped governments
> find a practical way forward.

Thanks, Anriette, for pointing to this important fact.

In fact, the May 2009 session of CSTD witnessed some very important
advocacy successes of civil society, which I think may not have been
noticed and discussed enough. All the three most important elements of
the CSTD resolution, now adopted by the ECOSOC, either came first from
civil society (CS), or at the very least CS was one of the early active
sponsors of these ideas. Not only that, CS was involved in some hectic
back room lobbying to ensure that these important steps forward for
global IG found their way into the draft, and then that they got support
from key gov reps on the CSTD.

These important issues or steps forward are:

1) An open consultation on enhanced cooperation or EC (to be held later
this year)

2) A CSTD working group on IGF

3) A clear statement to the effect that EC and IGF are two *distinct* if
complementary processes (which should put to rest efforts to present
activities at the IGF as covering the meaning and intent of EC,
something which has been attempted rather strongly in the last few years)

Parminder