[governance] FW: Blogpost: Open Data: Empowering the Empowered or

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 12:25:58 EDT 2010

"Open data" is a public good, but unless it is "open and honest" data,
the public is in effect being manipulated rather than manipulating
honest data.  I'm inclined to support open data but with a major
caveat.

Hard won data and knowledge, such as professional knowledge, IP, etc.,
tends to be hoarded on the stated grounds of recovering investment &
profiting from innovation. If it is initially protected data/knowledge
and then liberated to be open, it is more likely reliable or honest
data or knowledge.  When it is provided for free in the first place,
since most data has at least a nominal cost and some of the best data
is hard to come by, it raises the question of whether open data is
open and honest data.

Advertising is always free to us, and the advertising industry stands
as a trillion dollar proof of the eagerness to provide us with free,
open data in order to manipulate us in the direction of the data
provider's will.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.