[governance] FYI: ITU & ICANN

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Wed Sep 1 10:54:59 EDT 2010

I agree with Rafik, it wasn't very strategic of ITU and could be useful to ICANN et al (whether this was a strategic calculation or "trap," who knows, ask Rod I guess).  Among other things, it helps to set a frame for how the Plenipotentiary outcomes will be received and reported, e.g. if ITU does more resolutions etc asserting its centrality to IG, right to make policy on ICANN matters, etc., it won't play terribly well in many circles that ICANN's leadership was not even allowed into the building while all this was happening.  There will be ripples...

Also agree with Milton about procedures actually being part of the story.  Similarly, I'm told that companies that pay to join, say, ITU-T, are not allowed to attend meetings of ITU-D unless they pay there too.  The budgetary model is an issue with respect to possible CS participation as well.  If they were integrated into the UN system some things might be easier, but that won't happen.

Bill

On Sep 1, 2010, at 9:15 AM, Rafik Dammak wrote:

> Hi Milton,
>
> I think that was good move from ICANN, I guess that they were expecting such response  from ITU and maybe even wanted it ;) . it was a trap and ITU fall there miserably :) now people are talking mostly about "enhanced cooperation" and the no willingness of ITU.
> and the response came just after ICANN board resolution http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/resolutions-05aug10-en.htm#6 about "international Dimension of ICANN" with the purpose to cooperate with international organizations.
>
> Regards
>
> Rafik
>
> 2010/8/29 Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu>
> ITU is an intergovernmental organization, and ICANN is neither governmental nor inter-governmental. They might as well ask for a seat on the UN Security Council.
>
> We all know that the ITU and many of its key member states (China, the Arab states, Russia, etc.) support a purely intergovernmental model for Internet governance. Why should we be "shocked, shocked" at this?
>
> However, if the U.S. govt succeeds in its current efforts to make GAC the veto authority over all ICANN policies, then perhaps it should qualify as an intergovernmental org sometime in the near future. ;-)
>
> --MM

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance