[governance] RE: Guidance sought on CSTD nominations and

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Oct 26 14:45:17 EDT 2010

In message <F71B50EE-0B67-47B9-8F05-41D304A1DE49 at marzouki.info>, at
18:27:27 on Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Meryem Marzouki <meryem at marzouki.info>
writes

>> The original plan, revealed in Vilnius, was to have some sort of
>>public consultation during October (which is reportedly much delayed),
>>then gather the WG in Geneva on the 24th November[1].
>>
>> The composition was to be 20 nominees from the Government sector and
>>10 each from Private Sector (ICC?) and Civil Society. The Internet
>>Technical Community does not have its own stakeholder   group of ten
>
>I'm wondering whether this decision was argumented, or explained in any
>way?

It was offered by the chair as an option (expressed as being the
original "WGIG stakeholders"), during the special lunchtime session in
Vilnius.

By the end of the session, despite several interventions supporting "all
stakeholders including ITC", it was still the chair's preferred model
(with government balanced with non-government, and maybe thinking that
30+10+10+10 would be too big a group).

The chair also seemed to want the stakeholder groups (including the five
individual UN regions) to make their choices independently of himself. I
know some people think that including at least some of the governments
who have been previous IGF organisers would be useful, however that
requires more insight into the UN's selection processes than I currently
have.

>Do we know whether entities usually understood as part of  the ITC have
>protested or undertaken any action - if only by taking  the floor at
>the Vilnius meeting where this was announced, or by  sending a letter
>afterwards, asking for explanation? For sure they  haven't remained
>silent. If so, have they got any answer?

Whatever representations were made, I don't think it has changed
anything yet. Although many of those concerned have been tied up in the
ITU Plenipot for the last few weeks, and others were perhaps expecting
the opportunity to contribute to an online consultation, during October,
regarding the arrangements (amongst other things).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org