[governance] Draft letter to Under-Secretary-General Sha for comments

Jean Paul NKURUNZIZA nkurunziza1999 at yahoo.fr
Sat Oct 23 13:49:36 EDT 2010

Great

I support this letter.
 NKURUNZIZA Jean Paul
Burundi Youth Training Centre
www.bytc.bi
Tel : +257 79 981459

________________________________
De : Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org>
À : governance at lists.cpsr.org
Envoyé le : Dim 17 octobre 2010, 2h 00min 02s
Objet : [governance] Draft letter to Under-Secretary-General Sha for comments

Dear List,

Here is draft text for a letter that the Internet Governance Caucus
proposes to send objecting to the exclusivity of the upcoming enhanced
cooperation consultations.

While we have asked ICC and ISOC if they are willing to join us to make it
sort of joint statement, we like to first ask our IGC members to discuss about
this and, given short time, call for [rough] consensus within a few days if that
is feasible.

Please be specific to the wording as much as possible. And of course we welcome
your constructive suggestions for the handling of this with other
stakeholders as well.

Thank you,

Jeremy and Izumi

His Excellency Sha Zukang
Under Secretary General for Economic and Social Affairs
United Nations
3 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017

Your Excellency,
Thank you for your open letter of 7 October 2010, addressed to civil
society and private sector stakeholders, in which you invite them to
participate in consultations in New York on 14th December.

Quoting resolution 2010/2 of the Economic and Social Council, the
letter explains that these are meant as "open and inclusive
consultations involving all Member States and other stakeholders with
a view to assisting the process of enhanced cooperation ... in respect
of international public policy issues pertaining to the Internet ...
through a balanced participation of all stakeholders in their
respective roles and responsibilities."

In this context we are concerned that the consultations scheduled for
New York are not in fact as open and inclusive as the ECOSOC
resolution requires.  Specifically, we were surprised that
non-governmental stakeholders were invited only to give written
contributions, and to nominate a single representative to speak during
the consultations to summarize the contributions of all
non-governmental stakeholders.

In our respectful view, this does not amount to the open and inclusive
consultation called for by ECOSOC, but rather is effectively an
intergovernmental consultation. This runs counter to the principle
established at the World Summit on the Information Society that "The
international management of the Internet should be multilateral,
transparent and democratic, with the full involvement of governments,
the private sector, civil society and international organizations."

We acknowledge that the restraints that have been placed upon the
participation of private sector and civil society stakeholders in this
consultation are said to be as a result of space constraints at the
United Nations complex in New York.
Might we suggest, then, that due to the importance of securing wide
and inclusive participation of all stakeholders in this consultation,
the date and venue be changed to the Palais des Nations in Geneva,
perhaps following the open consultations of the Internet Governance
Forum that are already scheduled for 22 November 2010.
Thank you for your ongoing support of the multi-stakeholder process of
Internet governance, and for considering the important concerns raised
above. We look forward to receiving your response in due course.

END
    governance at lists.cpsr.org