[governance] New nominating committee

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Oct 17 05:19:44 EDT 2010

I have just drawn the new nominating committee, according to the process in RFC 3979 as specified in our Charter.  The new committee is:

#12 Ian Peter
#23 Qusai Al-Shatti
#9 Gurumurthy K
#11 Hempal Shrestha
#14 Jacquiline Morris

If any of these is unavailable, we have #8 Ginger Paque, #7 Fearghas McKay and #2 AHM Bazlur Rahman as backups.

Congratulations to these volunteers.  Izumi and I will write to them separately about appointing a chair and commencing their work.

If you would like to replicate the results yourself, and you know your way around a computer, you can.  If you are running Linux, this will work out of the box.  If you have Mac OS X, you need to install the Developer Tools from your original operating system DVD.  If you have Windows, you need to install Cygwin from http://www.cygwin.com/.

1. First take the list of nominees that I posted to the list earlier (archived at http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2010-10/msg00150.html).  Actually you don't need this except for reference.  Assume that they are numbered from 1 to 28.

2. Copy the source code out of RFC 3979 (at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3797.txt, or any of its mirrors) and save it as a text file called (say) "pvrs.c" (without a ".txt" extension, if your operating system will let you).  You also need to save global.h, MD5.h and md5c.c from RFC 1321 (at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt).  To save you some time, I can send you the source code files and you can compare them to those in the RFCs.

3. Get yourself a console window.  If you use Linux you probably know how to do this already; under Mac OS X you'll find Terminal.app in the Applications/Utilities folder, and on most versions of Windows the easiest way is to click Start, Run, and type "cmd".

4. Go to where you saved the source code files (using the "cd" command followed by the path to where you saved them), and type "gcc -o pers md5c.c pvrs.c".  You'll get some harmless warnings, but if all went well, you should also have a new executable file called pvrs.

5. Run this program using "./pvrs" (or just "pvrs" on Windows).  When prompted type "28" for the number of volunteers in the pool, and "5" (or "8") for the number we want to select.

6. Then enter the results of the 16 October lotteries in this order, one set of numbers per line (don't enter the Web site addresses, but do use them for verification of the numbers):

http://www.lotto.ie 1 13 15 24 40 45 36
http://www.national-lottery.co.uk 6 30 34 38 45 48 32
http://www.powerball.com* 11 12 15 16 28 11

* This site seems only accessible within the USA, but try http://www.usamega.com.

7. Type "end" to end, and the program should return the results given above.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.