[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Oct 12 17:01:45 EDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 10:50 AM, McTim wrote:

> If you are really wary of this, then you should be a strong proponent
> of a CS body counterbalancing the weight of a GAC, no?

"counterbalancing"?

That seems weak.

Why not "dominating"?

It seems to me that if one actually believes that governments are merely
expressions of human sovereignty, that authority derives from the
consent of the governed, then it would follow that in matters of
internet governance that corporate and governmental voices should fall
before the weight of the collective opinion of the community of people
affected by the internet.

Sure, this may be considered unobtainable fantasy by some, but if we
don't aim at something worth having, they why should we even bother with
the effort?

	--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org