[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Oct 9 12:53:14 EDT 2010

Hi,

Of course it is better when states make Internet friendly recommendations, but you can't count on that, even when they do know better.  And how well I know that states will make tradeoffs that hurt the things people care about - e.g. isn't that always the case with human rights and freedom of expression (except maybe for Norway, this week).

In terms of the ITU, in addition to prior education of the member states (though they tend to see 'education' as a presumptuous thing for us to call it)  we need vigilance, alarm raising and plans B, C, ...

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org