[governance] ITU vs. ICANN

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Oct 8 18:10:55 EDT 2010

On 10/08/2010 12:51 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:

> But notion that ITU could decide something that is treated as
> mandatory is not far-fetched at all.

In the US the quesiton of whether a treaty is domesticated to have force
with or over local (national) law is a rather complex question.

And in this instance that question is made more complex by the fact that
we are not talking about a treaty itself but, rather, a decision made
subsequent to a treaty.

(Of course, we'd have to begin by asking "which treaty".  And examine
the terms and conditions, if any, that the US attached when agreeing to it.)

Can an international body created under a treaty (to which the US is a
signatory) could have veto power over the decisions of a private
corporation in the US?

My own sense if that that there are a lot of intermediate hurdles that
would have to be overcome before that would happen.

I suspect that the US would as a matter of national policy strongly
fight the notion of automatic domestication of treaty-based powers.  So
would most countries as auto-domestication amounts to a reduction in the
sovereign powers of a nation.

And if it were done I suspect it could pour gasoline onto the funeral
pyre that a lot of conservative groups ("tea party") want to make for US
participation in the UN and other international bodies - yes, that
position, once held only by the fruitcake fringe, is now moving towards
mainstream US politics.  Sigh.

And, of course, there is the fact that ICANN acts by virtue of being the
vertex of a pyramid of contracts.  That vertex exists only because we
use a single DNS root.  We use a single root merely for convenience;
there is no technical reason that blocks others.  Too much pressure from
overbearing governments and international bodies and the single-root
will become multiple roots - and governments and international bodies
will have to try to heard a herd of angry cats rather than one somewhat
docile ICANN cat.

	--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org