[governance] IISD comment on the draft

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 19:43:59 EDT 2010

I will have to agree with Heather's comments as it is something that
has also been discussed in the open consultations and MAG meetings
that we as IGC are itself a Civil Society stakeholder and do not
represent all of Civil Society that includes various actors in various
individual, organizational, groups, communities and structures.

The IGC cannot act as the global gateway for all CS of the world that
is interested to participate in the IGF process or is already doing so
and that fact will continue to remain. I don't this might even be
applicable and this statement does require a revisit. Within the UN
process there are existing bodies that provide consultative status to
CS with the UN and IGC cannot take that role other than attempt to
become a member of and would require IGC to have a registered
organization status with a yearly financial audited budget to join and
remain in consultative status upon approval of the UNNGLS/UNDESA etc.
This would still keep IGC as a member of the CONGO/Consultative Status
and equal with other CS and not give IGF the sole responsibility of CS
inclusion.

IGC should remain clear in its role and what it states in its statement.

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa
     governance at lists.cpsr.org