[governance] Remote participation at Vilnius IGF 2010

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 15:21:50 EDT 2010

Hello,

We organized a hub at Chennai, which was initially meant to be a small room
for 30 people sponsored by GreatLakes Institute of
Managment<http://www.greatlakes.edu.in/>,
but after we met with the management of this School of Management, they
committed a lot more resources - made available a world class Smart
Classroom for 60 participants, ample bandwidth, a large auditorium for 300
for occasional meetings, transportation facilities for participants from the
city, and as many rooms as we wanted for those who chose to stay.

This is a very serious business school with an amazingly loaded time-table
that kept students occupied at least until midnight seven days a week, but
still class room were realigned to accommodate participation.  Over a
hundred students took turns to participate in the various sessions.

http://isocmadras.blogspot.com/2010/09/igf-remote-participation-hub-at-great.html

This was also an occasion to invite youth participation in the IGF:

http://isocmadras.blogspot.com/2010/09/youth-participation-in-internet.html

The Isoc Chennai hub at GreatLakes http://greatlakes.edu.in/ is an
experiment which indicates that academic Institutions can play a pivotal
role in enhancing youth participation in Internet Governance. It felt good
to be with the students who organized and took part in the IGF hub.

Those working on improving youth participation may draw the attention of
academic institutions to the role of GreatLakes in facilitating the Chennai
hub.

Sivasubramanian M
http://turiya.co.in

http://www.isocmadras.com