[governance] IGC profile: some handfuls of people and a curmudgeon?

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 21:16:52 EDT 2010

My comments aren't directed to anyone in particular...

Hmmm...

Well... Since you asked...

In fact, in years gone by I have made some specific suggestions and at the
time was much more in a position to execute them... My suggestions had to do
with linking into the then active Global Telecentre Alliance and the
constituent members which represented a global network of quite active
grassroots ICT organizations of which I was an executive member.  My
suggestion at the time (as just recently) was that the issues being
addressed were rather too narrow to capture this group's interest so what I
was asking for with no response whatsoever was for the IGC group to begin to
address the broader range of concerns that these folks were interested in
and through which they could become engaged and as I recall I even indicated
some of the issues that would be of interest--infrastructure for access,
effective use, cost of access and so on...

They and I have now moved on (and a couple of potential collaborators on
this have now moved on from an involvement with the IGC) and there are new
actors a few of which I have contacts with, but most I don't.

To say that its up to individuals is all very well except that the 'brand'
here doesn't seem to be broadly available to individuals to move forward
since it is so closely and organically tied to the yearly rhythms of the IGF
which of course is tied into the specific professional interests of various
of those who seem to manage the specific IGF brand.  It seems to me that if
there is to be any follow-up of the kind I am suggesting it would need to
have some sort of broader strategic recognition by the group as for example
is done systematically with the various determinations of participation
relative to the IGF and related.

I'm also still waiting for some response to my question which was not meant
as rhetorical...

Mike C.