[governance] Criterion for charter voting

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 15:28:00 EDT 2010

On 10/1/10, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Is it then an "interpretation" like any other? I don't
> know, I'm not a lawyer.

I understand you're not a lawyer.   If you were, it would be easier to
explain that a "plain meaning" or "intent" interpretation that
conflicts with other portions of the Charter and also does so in an
undemocratic fashion is not something to be embraced.  Such an
interpretation would only be accepted if it were the only possible
interpretation that made sense of the document as a whole - and you
can't just focus on one phrase in isolation.

Given that you approve of something that takes away my right to vote,
you'll recognize my restraint in merely saying in response that people
should be more careful when they are not trained in an area and their
actions take away the rights of others.   This is a "governance" list
and I hadn't heard the intent was to model ways in which to exclude
others from the most important decisions, such as Constitutions or
charters.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1