[governance] New Blogpost: Investment 58-Poverty 14: The UN'sBroadband Commission for Digital Development vs. the MDGs

Jonathan Cave jonathan at jcave.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 04:12:22 EDT 2010

A strained analogy occurs to me; distributing clean needles can help in the fight against HIV, so why not give them to all susceptible people? More seriously, there are worse risks than inequitable distribution of economic benefits, including the inefficiency of extending the market power of concentrated parts of the ICT value mesh, exposing local markets to entrenched global suppliers of goods and services and employers of labour and consolidating the political power of those providing newly-critical infrastructure. Briefly, the static picture's a lot rosier than the dynamic one. Too much/soon?
J.