[governance] Re: GA 2nd Committee expected to adopt text on

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Fri Nov 26 11:05:10 EST 2010

Hola Meryem,

That paragraph belongs to the Geneva-WSIS Declaration of Principles.
"Building the Information Society: a global challenge in the new
Millennium" Unfortunately, no one realize the importance of highlight
human rights within this framework, indeed. It has been said that some
controversial paragraphs that can chill freedom of expression were
included on previous versions of the G77 draft, but were at the not
accepted by other democratic govs. inside the G77.

There might be people who did not associate that article with the
importance on human rights. Civil society we weren't able to inform
policy makers to get better policy outcomes within the negotiations of
this UN GA resolution.

And yes, the WSIS follow up is crucial in this overall broad picture
discussion. WSIS follow has indeed a mandate that has also been
extended, and may be a struggle of power among UN institutions on these
issues..

Best, K

>>> IRIS (Imaginons un réseau Internet solidaire) - www.iris.sgdg.org
>>> EDRI (European Digital Rights) - www.edri.org

Katitza Rodriguez
International Rights Director
Electronic Frontier Foundation
katitza at eff.org
katitza at datos-personales.org (personal email)

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and freedom of speech since 1990

     governance at lists.cpsr.org