AW: [governance] Consensus Call for CSTD IGF Questionnaire -

Fatimata Seye Sylla fsylla at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 04:36:51 EST 2010

Thank you Jean-Louis for making the point about the specific needs for
Africa.  You are right.   We need to participate to the IG policy but
without appropriate access to internet, it will be very difficult to do so.
The investment being made to put the right infrastructure in place is
necessary for African development and can't be considered as a waste.  I
completely agree wiith the answers provided by McTim on the subject.  Again,
access is a major issue for Africa.

Fatimata

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK <jlfullsack at orange.fr>
> wrote:
>
> > And what are 12 submarine cables along the African coasts doing for
> > exchanging coms in Central Africa for instance ? Who is caring about that
> > waste of money (some 7 billions dollars) ?
>
> Landing those cables is a big step, it took many years.  Once coastal
> connectivity is established, inland fiber comes quite quickly due to
> commercial pressure.
>
> Why is it a waste of money? It's mostly international investors who believe
> they will get a return. I doubt they see this as "waste".
>
> There are 15 cables that land in the NYC metro area, Shouldn't Africa's
> Billion people have the same access as New Yorkers?
>

> > We aren't far from Internet governance when we are speaking of such
> issues :
> > for Internet to be "governed" correctly it first of all needs to be
> > implemented ! I.e. there must be relevant traffic nodes (exchanges, GIX,
> > PoP, ...) and a resilient network for interconnecting them on the
> continent
>
> These are being built (and in some cases operational).
>

> > ! In Africa, IG is first of all about the topology of the continental
> > backbone, i.e. the location of IXPs, GIXes and PoPs for holding the "
> > domestic African" traffic wthin the continent and useing the shortest or
> > most economical links.
>
> Without the cables you decry, the shortest and cheapest route would often
> be overseas and back.
>

>  This topology needs a relevant Internet architecture
> > : here IG is to be at work ! Moreover, the insertion of Africa in the
> > international traffic flow needs selected landing stations (and satellite
> > hubs) to be the gateway stations to the global optical fiber routes that
> > really connects Africa to the World.
>
> We have these.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
> "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A route
> indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

Fatimata Seye Sylla