AW: [governance] Consensus Call for CSTD IGF Questionnaire -

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 08:11:23 EST 2010

I think the idea of a Global Internet Council would be a possible way
to counter the groups that are trying to weaken the IGF and stand
against the idea of some form of outcome from IGF such as simple
messages and/or recommendations. Yes it is true that we need to learn
more about how this can be constituted and moved forward and why is
there really a need to formulate another institution.

OECD and CoE may not be good examples in the IG and IGF context unless
we are lacking some think tank kind of approach in the overall
processes. I am unable to see how OECD and CoE may actually have any
direct influence on policy development amongst the member countries.
In fact, I see the Davos WEF to be gaining more interest by the OECD
elite to spend more money and pay membership fees and get global media
coverage and presence and infact it seems as fame, thinktankism and
policy influence getting a new form that may at some point in time
cross ahead than the OECD and CoE.

I haven't been comfortable with the continuous cross referencing and
examples of OECD and CoE. Like the networks and the neo-communities
that form the ecosystem of the Internet are totally a different form
of association and exchange than traditional forms of grouping,
interaction and action, I would say that a future Global Internet
Council should be formulated independent of these traditional ideas
and forms of thinktankism and policy influence. The world and medium
for governance is the Internet and thus the Internet and human
association on the Internet actually accumulate together to form the
possible means for its governance and this brings us to the very
initial paradox that how will and should the Internet be governed
without discussing what else goes on in the world.

I support enhanced cooperation but with a bit more sense and not
loosing what the caucus has originally believed in. The IGF is
weakening in its current form and certain groups are doing so on
purpose to have it in that state. The route of EC can be that one life
saving drug for the IGF.......or?

Fouad Bajwa

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:43 PM, William Drake
<william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2010, at 12:45 PM, parminder wrote:
>
> What I cant understand is the position of those who both oppose the EC
> process (in whichever evolutionary form) as well as oppose possibilities of
> the IGF making recommendations (I see Wolfgang, Katitza, Bill, Jeanette
> among others state that position). Moreover, they all seem to closely
> associate with OECD/ CoE policy making processes, which are in fact much
> less open, transparent, multistakeholder etc than even the 'enhanced
> cooperation' model which, for instance, I proposed and they strongly
> resisted.
>
> Interesting.  But I have never said I oppose enhanced cooperation.  I have
> said I prefer recommendations from the IGF to recs of the IGF, which will
> not work.  I am not closely associated with the OECD.  I don't think it
> makes sense to advocate a Global Internet Council until someone can
> convincingly explain why it is needed, how it would operate, and why it
> would not end up being like what the caucus rejected during the WGIG period.
>
> On Nov 19, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:
>
> Yes from me too...let's see if we can reach a 'rough consensus' amongst
> ourselves at least.
>
> I don't know who the selves in question are, but this needs to follow the
> procedures for consensus calls we agreed in the charter.
> Cheers,
> Bill

Regards.
Fouad Bajwa