[governance] DRAFT IGC Response to Questionnaire on improvements

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 08:21:40 EST 2010

I have a problem anyway about "tangible outcomes" - I can feel Rui breathing
down my neck :-)
I feel that the proliferation of national and regional IGFs is a HUGE
outcome which can certainly be demonstrated and documented if not actually
touched.
Also, as Ginger suggests, remote participation and the access it affords to
the previously excluded.
Galvanising a huge chunk of the whole world into some type of action -
holding national and regional meetings - in just 5 years, is something like
finding Archimedes lever, and I think we should look at it like that.

Under #2 I wonder whether it would be possible to produce brief summary
reports, in layman's language, WITHOUT ANY ACRONYMS, for dissemination to
those who are currently "outsiders".
Also I wish we could think of a "sexy" approach to involve the print and
broadcast media in spreading the word. A comic strip? A soap opera?

#3 I am from a developing country. Recently an NGO here had a problem for
which it hired consultants. It then transpired that the same problem had
been addressed by consultants 10 years ago, and the report, the
recommendations, had sat on the shelf, unused, essentially "lost", for 10
years. Recommendations may be tangible but they are frequently seen as an
end in themselves rather than being a plan for a "way forward". I am rather
"anti" about recommendations, unless they are accompanied by some type of
actual "implementation".

#4 para 2 there is an important "not" missing I think -  "have NOT yet
gained sufficient level of work at IGF"

I like #6b and I LOVE #6e :-)

Thank you for making the draft

Deirdre

On 13 November 2010 08:33, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I agree with McTim strongly on this...
> There is no reason to emphasize a 'negative' position on achieving the
> assigned outcome.
>
> In fact, I think it makes more sense to note that there have been many have
> been tangible and intangible positive outcomes directly/indirectly from the
> IGF process, beyond awareness-raising and bringing IG issues to regional IGF
> meetings--what about the emergence and development of the multistakeholder
> model? How about the advances in remote participation, permitting greater
> inclusion in global policy processes? What about the diffusion and
> replication of best practices?
>
> The question doesn't ask about our frustration, it asks what we consider
> the most important achievement. If we must point out the frustration, should
> it not at least be balanced by appreciation for \ the positive effects? At
> least we should answer the question!
>
> Thanks for doing this work. Much appreciated. I am in the middle of a
> workshop in Tobago, and have not reviewed carefully. I think others should
> voice their positions as well.
>
> *
> **Ginger (Virginia) Paque
> *IGCBP Online Coordinator
> DiploFoundation
> www.diplomacy.edu/ig
>
> *The latest from Diplo...*
> http://igbook.diplomacy.edu is the online companion to *An Introduction to
> Internet Governance, *Diplo's publication on IG. Download the book, read
> the blogs and post your comments.
>
> On 11/12/2010 10:58 PM, McTim wrote:
>
> Pretty good reply overall.
>
> I would strike "Yet we still have not seen real tangible outcome
> directly out of IGF process."
>
> As there are not supposed to be real tangible outcomes, are there??

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979