[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Nov 11 21:28:03 EST 2010

On 12/11/2010, at 9:22 AM, Izumi AIZU wrote:

> While our poll is to ask you to support the statement entirely, and we did
> not have the luxury of asking you section by section, please vote
> if you are more less satisfied with the current text or not, and IF you do
> support it with some reservation, please express that on the list specifically
> so that we can recognize if there is "rough" consensus or not, and if we feel
> appropriate we may make final adjustment [at our discretion].

I strongly agree.

Also, if you would like polls on future statements to be put in a more piecemeal fashion so that you can say "I agree to this part but not this part", let me know.  Technically this is possible, and in fact Izumi suggested we do that this time.

My main reason for not wanting to is that if we allow people to opt out of all the most controversial points, we can end up with a bland, lowest-common-denominator statement.  It is better (in my opinion) that those who signal agreement with the statement accept it warts and all, even if there are parts they would have preferred to leave out.

-- Jeremy (almost not here)

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.