[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 11:23:12 EST 2010

In my view, this is the context or close to the preamble that sets the
stage for understanding all the rest, and something very close to it
should be at or near the beginning:

"The question of governance regarding the Internet is not if there
will be governance, and the question is not whether there will be
governance regarding the Internet.  Instead, the question is whether
there will be democratic laws of Internet goverance, or whether by
default the laws of Internet governance will be laws set via private
contracts that are defined entirely by business entities presently
active on the web, and then enforced by public courts around the
world, at public expense.  The question of internet governance at the
cutting edge, then, is whether the Internet will develop more in the
direction of international democracy or whether international
democracy is rendered increasingly irrelevant by the forces of private
law via contract and by market forces, and by its own abdication
and/or failure to apply universal laws and principles with very wide
consensus support to a relatively new field of human development
called the Internet."

Paul Lehto, J.D.

On 11/10/10, Izumi AIZU <aizu at anr.org> wrote:
> My personal comment, not as co-coordinator:
>
> I also agree Avri's recommendation of taking out "multi-lateral" and push
> for "open, accountable, transparent, democratic and inclusive"
>
> izumi
>

> 2010/11/11 Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu>:
>> I support Avri's recommendations as well. Particularly the suggestion of
>> getting rid of multilateral.
>>
>> jeanette
>>
>> Am 10.11.2010 16:51, schrieb Miguel Alcaine:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> I support Avri's recommendations. Both of them.
>>> For me, the first is better drafting.
>>> In the second, I can live with getting rid of multilateral and I
>>> strongly support to include open and accountable.
>>> Best,
>>> Miguel
>>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Avri Doria <avri at psg.com
>>> <mailto:avri at psg.com>> wrote: