[governance] FOURTH DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Wed Nov 10 05:52:53 EST 2010

On 10/11/2010, at 4:57 PM, McTim wrote:

>>> I also object to the "a new and supplementary mandate." language.
>>> Where did that come from? Who would give such a mandate tot eh IGF?
>>

>> It could be an outcome of the Enhanced Cooperation consultations.
>
> Could it? It took a UN Summit to prepare the current mandate.  Would a
> "consultation" have the authority to formally mandate the IGF to take
> on other tasks?

No but the consultation would lead to a recommendation to the UN General Assembly, which would have the authority to do so.  Aren't we half-expecting that soon anyway?

> IF IGF was created by WSIS, then wouldn't it be expected that WSIS
> 2015 would have to change that mandate?

Sure, that would work too.

Actually the ability to make non-binding decisions on Internet public policy issues (and even to draft, but not to conclude, treaties) is already well within the current mandate of the IGF... but of course the reality is that the IGF would never attempt such a thing without being forced to by a mandate change.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.