[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 14:24:14 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Mawaki Chango <kichango at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:36 AM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>
> I think at this point we understand our mutual differences, so I find it
> unnecessary to carry on arguing my point... I guess some things just never
> change ;) Bottom line, you sound more hopeful than I about private actors
> solving all/most of the problems with technical specifications,

Not just with standards and technical policy, think netiquette as an example.

while I am
> obviously more hopeful than you about the governments' *potential* also to
> do the right thing by their people, as long as they aren't left to their own
> devices. At least they can bring to the table relevant issues that you,
> technologists, are too busy (too fascinated by your toys? ;)) to bother
> with, and they might help reach better decisions on those. Anyway, I gather
> none of us means to exclude the other party from the process (and I
> certainly don't want to let any one party/mindset dominate the process).
>
> Just to answer your questions...
>
> There are different ways of doing cost recovery, particularly for a
> nonprofit global service. The laws of economics may be necessary and
> universal (at least some believe that), but economic development is an
> organic thing. Practicing one-size-fits-all from the top and think that you
> are not reinforcing existing inequalities is just self-delusional.

Agreed, but the process to change this is ongoing, AND the idea behind
it (AFAICS) is not to reinforce existing inequalities, but to
artificially limit the number of new gTLDs for stability reasons.

Maybe
> ICANN should elect headquarters in Nigeria and do price recovery from there,
> that would be more helpful for bridging the digital divide :)

It actually wouldn't at all, given the cost of real estate and doing
biz in general in Naija (esp. in Lagos).  Would be cheaper in Geneva!!

> Re. AfriNIC, Maputo meeting: Although I remember interesting discussions
> about NRO, I frankly don't remember the details of what was decided or
> signed in Maputo

http://www.nro.net/documents/afrinic-nro-join-full.pdf

I've some photos if you are interested.

.... I just learned then about the work AfriNIC had been
> doing (so my newness to that arena at the the time may also explain why we
> didn't meet). I found myself there while working with our colleagues at
> CIUEM back then (the informatics center at the Eduardo Mondlane University).
>
> Do let us know whenever you think we're missing out on "actual IG processes"

That would be a veritable flood of mails.

> as opposed to the "meta-" ones (in your own words). Personally if I could
> contribute something, I'd gladly participate. Keeping in mind that only a
> small portion of those involved in broader policy issues are prepared to
> engage meaningfully with the nuts and bolts of internet infrastructure. On
> that point, your meeting attendance breakdown probably wouldn't have been
> the same without processes such as WSIS, IGC, WGIG, IGF...

Perhaps, but maybe it would have.  The RIRs began outreach to govt's
long before WSIS, IGF, etc.  Currently, AfriNIC has an AfGWG
(Governmental Working Group) and is setting up a Law Enforcement
Agency Working (LEAGWG) , bending over backwards to enhance
cooperation IMO.

Maybe these
> global policy processes have not been only nefarious, after all.

many fine lunches and dinners.

--
Cheers,

McTim