[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Nov 6 10:31:12 EDT 2010

Parminder:
A bit tendentious, as usual. While the overall number of poor in India is very large, as a percentage of the total population it has halved since the 1970s and the slope of the downward line seems to have increased since economic liberalization.
Tell me if this statistical graph is incorrect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BPL_Data_GOI.png
Most sources I see, admittedly second-hand, indicate that the bureaucratic "license Raj" in India stifled growth after the 1950s and that poverty has decreased since the 1980s liberalizing reforms.