[governance] FOURTH DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:40:38 EST 2010

Jeremy,

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> On 09/11/2010, at 8:18 PM, McTim wrote:
>
>> I am happy that it stay in, with the proviso that the lightest weight
>> option is included.
>
> The compromise I used in draft 4 (which is almost what you want)

DRAFT 4 is nothing like I want!

> is to begin that paragraph with "If institutional changes are to be made, ...".

Not much of a compromise if there are 3 examples of "things we could
do in the future", while the "thing we are doing quite successfully
already" gets left out.

SECOND DRAFT said  " * making no institutional changes but encouraging
organisations to enhance their own cooperation with other stakeholders
and to report to the CSTD on their progress;"

I understand that someone objected to that, while I objected to NOT
recognising that EC is an ongoing process that started long before
Tunis, and can continue with no new institutional developments, hence
the subsequent addition (and then removal) of the sentence quoted
above.

To quote Avri in SECOND DRAFT:
"I do not accept the premise that there is studied silence on Enhanced
Cooperation.  Or a vacuum.

I contend that we see progress in Enhanced cooperation.  The more I
watch the changes in the groups doing Internet Governance, the more I
see the participation of governments along side the other
stakeholders.  And the more I see the opening for Civil society of all
sorts to participate.  Yes, there is a ways to go, there will always
be a ways to go.  And we should wok on the means of  furthering the
progress we are making."

So I think that it is entirely reasonable to put back the text from
the second draft.

I also object to the "a new and supplementary mandate." language.
Where did that come from? Who would give such a mandate tot eh IGF?

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org