[governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Nov 6 09:19:36 EDT 2010

McTim

Rest of your responses to my proposal are a bit of a standard exchange
between us, and I may have not have much new to say, but I will like to
make a comment on the following.

On Saturday 06 November 2010 01:26 PM, McTim wrote:

>> >  And if we think there is a global vacuum vis a vis global IG policies, what
>> >  is our analysis about whose interests such a vacuum serves,
>>
> It seems to have served innovation quite well, built economies and
> eco-sytems.  Look at your own backyard to find the

About my backyard, two things

one, pl read this article about the recent 2010 UNDP HDR report, from
which I quote

    "India has failed to make any significant improvement in its poverty
    figures,with over 400 million -- more than the total in the poorest
    African nations -- still struck in poverty, the Human Development
    Report 2010 said today, listing India at the 119th position on the
    Human Development Index." ( some more details, that may be startling
    to some, at
    http://www.mydigitalfc.com/economy/indias-growth-fails-translate-poverty-alleviation-hdr-024
    )

One may wonder how in this time of ICTs and instant news from all over
the world, people seem to keep getting not too right a picture of where
and how things really may be in India. Any comments on this?

Second thing about my backyard, I did share with the list a few weeks
back, mobile companies are colonizing the mobile Internet in India by
the day like nobody's business. Mobile Internet is facebook, google and
yahoo, not the neutral and open Internet we seem to be thinking and
talking about here. I have no doubt that, going this way, the Internet
would soon turn into an instrument of increased dependency of the
marginalised on outside forces and agents. Its potential for empowering
local, community based processes is being increasingly compromised.

So, yes, I do look at my backyard, and my comments and my proposal are
informed by it.

Parminder