[governance] Re: It's Time to Stop ICANN's Top-Level Domain (TLD) Lunacy!

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 08:02:01 EDT 2010

Yeah, I too was surprised that Karl stopped right there ;)

And more: there's something I'm not seeing from nearly all the
comments/reactions here. There are two parts in Lauren's main
statement/title: the infrastructure and the institution managing it. I read
"ICANN's Top-level Domain" (or ICANN's domain name system) as inseparable in
that statement. And even if s/he refers to search engines today as one
argument for contending that *that* DNS (and not necessarily *the* DNS) is
irrelevant, I still don't think s/he said enough *in that post* for anyone
to conclude that what is being proposed here is to take down the DNS and let
the search engines do the job.

Now I had a different thought after I read it myself, which relates to the
institution not the infrastructure (I didn't see hint of that in the IGP
post referred to by Milton, either. And by that I'm not saying none of the
parties here never raised these concerns before, but just that they haven't
in their comments to this blog post, except maybe Parminder.) Are we
witnessing the replacement of one monopolistic mindset by another one, the
replacement of a multistate-driven (or intergovernmental) monopoly by a
private monopoly, at the global level? (I guess both governments and ICANN
may claim to be "nonprofit" so I'm skipping that qualifier.) Yes, with the
private structure more people, private citizens get to talk, but who and
what really get to influence the ultimate policy outcome? Whose interests
are consistently attended to? Or do you folks mean to say that there is
nothing monopolistic regarding how ICANN actually goes about managing the
DNS?

I am wondering.

Best,
Mawaki