[governance] Re: It's Time to Stop ICANN's Top-Level Domain (TLD) Lunacy!

Meryem Marzouki meryem at marzouki.info
Fri Nov 5 06:39:07 EDT 2010

Le 5 nov. 10 à 09:37, Stephane Bortzmeyer a écrit :

> The mention of search engines is especially stupid: domain names
> provide exactly what is missing with search engines, stability. Today,
> "afnic" in Google goes (depending on your previous searches) to
> <http://www.afnic.fr/> Tomorrow, it may suddenly goes to
> <http://www.afnic.af.mil/> or to <http://www.tsatexas.org/>.

Agree and let me add that, beyond the stability issue, relying on
search engines only would lead to many fundamental rights and
democracy concerns (I mean even more than with the current DNS system
subject to ICANN diktat), especially given lack of transparency of
commercial search engines criteria and market dominance by a single
player.

I'm disappointed that Karl hasn't pointed to the source of all
problems with current DNS scheme management: its unicity. In general,
his booster shots on alternative DNS are most welcome -- by me at
least;)))

Best,
Meryem

     governance at lists.cpsr.org