[governance] Very neutral statement on enhanced cooperation

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Thu Nov 4 01:18:00 EDT 2010

Dear list,

First, I believe we need to conclude our statement and deliver to
UN DESA/ECOSOC  by Nov. 15, 10 more days, and then this
will be used at the CSTD consultation meeting on Nov 24 in
Geneva. Am I correct?

If so, I don't think we cannot wait until our "Strategy" work finalized
and then solidly incorporated in this statement realistically.
It is not feasible and also risky.

I thought that's why Jeremy made rather "neutral" and non-contentious
draft. That does not mean in our future work to stop there.

What I read from Jeremy's draft is that Civil Society wants the
multi-stakeholder framework at any kind of "enhanced cooperation"
which originally implied, or have tendency to be, inter-governmental,
but not multi-stakeholder. I think that is important and everyone here
agrees.

For that, "MS observatory process convened under the auspices of the IGF"
might be sufficient, at least for the time being.

We can also add "regional balance" and/or "developmental" aspects
to be considered in the enhanced cooperation, if I may suggest.
I mean we do not accept one side (North or South, or East or West)
dominates over the other. Rather than saying "neutral", we can offer
"balanced approach" or something like that.
Mabe we could add gender balance, special attention to minorities in
culture and language, persons with disabilities, small and remote
communities, etc
all to be taken seriously. It could be too descriptive, though, I am afraid.

In 2003 WSIS CS declaration, we  said
"Technological decisions should be taken with the goal of meeting the
life-critical needs of people, not with goal of enriching companies or
enabling undemocratic control by governments. Therefore, fundamental
decisions concerning the design and use of technologies must be made
in cooperation with Civil Society, including individual end-users,
engineers, and scientists."

We can also use this to be applied to the EC principle and framework.

But again, we can make short and clear statement, as "beginning placeholder"
and elaborate as we progress our own debate towards December meeting.

my 2 cents.

izumi

                                  Japan
                                 * * * * *