[governance] Very neutral statement on enhanced cooperation

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Nov 3 10:17:52 EDT 2010

Jeremy,

If I may wade in here, even if not pretending I know whether we are the moon or the sky:

Right now we got a pretty small list with grandiose notions; with volunteer human capital its only resource.

There's related dedicated folks clustering around a variety of 'Internet governance' institutions or institutions which -also - do Internet governance, however else they define and busy themselves. Some are the same people here, stretched thinner and thinner...

Anyway, rather than moon and sky if it is just one world of ig, it's...easier.

In UN-GAID context in September I advocated a 'social grid' around and beyond ICT4D activities...remember a few emails on list re why not have IGF messages received by GAID and via GAID's eNabler  tools to development planners worldwide. That is just one possible path if a social grid is established which more tightly but still loosely because it is only virtually or voluntarily coupled one to another ig orgs.

The connection to enhanced cooperation: a social grid into and across ig orgs in which civil society ALWAYS has a seat at the table - and oh yeah nation-states have a say too - but that is enhanced cooperation.

In my opinion.

So this may all be too much for the enhanced cooperation neutral statement, but point is that maybe it is time not to be too too neutral and actually work to define -enhanced cooperation- operationally. Starting by advocating the same, as part of the next 5 year agenda.

Lee