AW: [governance] Our strategy, work plan and outreach

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Nov 1 05:00:21 EDT 2010

Hi

I fully support the elaboration of a strategy paper "Internet Governance 2015: Priorities for Civil Society" (based on previous CS documents to avoid the reinvention of the wheel). It should have - inter alia - a brief historical chapter, an overvierw about main issues and institutions of todays policy environment  where the key issues are negotiated/discussed, a chapter with a list of challenges of tomorrow and a final statement with CS IG priorities, principles and objectives for the CS IG Agenda 2015.
In an Annex we could have a timeline until 2015 which would list the main forthcoming events and also an ornagigram which gives on imagination about the various interconnected negotiations and discussions places and spaces.

Furthermore it would make sense to produce a brochure with CS IG statements and position papers from 2020 to 2010 which would show the outside world our continous engagement in the issue. Such a publication would also help the next generation of CS IG leaders to understand where they are coming from and what still has to be done and is the let over from the agendas of the first decade of the 21st century. The publication could also include facts and figures about IGC itself (Charter, proceudures, names of actual and previous chairs etc.)

Experience tell us further, that CS activities are always stimulated by global or regional events.

Here is my very preliminary list of relevant events for CS-IG in 2011

2011:
February: IGF/UNCSTD Consultations in Geneva
March: ICANN Meeting in San Francisco
May: WSIS Forum and IGF/UNCSTD Consultations in Geneva
June: ICANN meeting in Asia
September: IGF in Nairobi
ICANN meeting in Africa
November: UNGA in New York
over the year: Regional IGFs in Africa, Asia, Europa and Latin America

And here are some processes/institutions, which should be under observation:
UN: Enhanced Cooperation and IGF Improvement
ITU: Implementation of PP 10 / Preparation of the ITU World Conference on International Telecommunication 2012
OECD: Implementaiton of ther Seoul Declaration fronm 2008 / Internet Economy / CISSAC
European Commission: Implementation of the Digital Agenda 2020, including "Internet of Things" Task Froce
Council of Europa: Proposal for a "Framework of Commitments for Cross Border Internet Governance"
ACTA/WTO/WIPIO: Plans to finanlize the Draft of the ACTA Agreement, WIPOS Development Agenda and the Broadcasting Treaty
1st Committee UNGA: Ideas for a UN Treaty on Cybersecurity
World Economic Forum (Davos) and Worl Social Forum (Porto Allegre)
National legislation in key countries, in particular US, EU, Australia, Japan, BRIC etc.

Regards

Wolfgang