[governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track request

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Sun May 30 14:05:39 EDT 2010

On 29.5.2010 г. 23:29, Louis Pouzin wrote:
> The dispute about using .бг (.6r for ascians) as a native bulgarian ccTLD is both amusing and cheap. Amusing because similarities, ambiguities and
> look-alikes are a straight consequence of mixing scripts in a single
> context. Cheap because those who made that choice seem unable to admit  the
> result, and furthermore hold legitimate users as troublemakers.

The local Internet community in Bulgaria has made strong statement(s) on
what they expect the string to represent Bulgarian in a future IDN ccTLD
should be.

The BG Registry has made an pool to ask anyone who has ever communicated
with the Registry (that is, presumably those who are interested in
Bulgaria-related domain names) what they prefer.

96% have responded they believe .БГ represents the best choice.

I believe, most of those people will accept any other string, as long as
it's representation of 'Bulgaria' can be demonstrated. So far, nobody
has discovered such string.

The situation with Russia was given as an example. However, this only
looks the same case. In fact, it is not even similar.

Russia was told several years ago, that it's .py choice will not happen,
because these letters are identical with that of an existing ccTLD. In
the case of Bulgaria, ICANN has officially asked both the ccTLD registry
and the Bulgarian Government about their opinion. Both answered they
consider .БГ to be the appropriate choice. ICANN has also officially
accepted an letter from the Bulgarian Government of it's desire to
participate in the fast-track process with .БГ. ICANN did not care to
advise that there might be troubles.

Everything was 'ok' until after the Seoul ICANN meeting, when it became
clear that there is agreement in Bulgaria to apply for an IDN ccTLD.
Only after that, rumors started to appear, that there might be
possibility ICANN may refuse to assign the Bulgarian choice, because of
similarity with .br.

You should be smelling 'politics' by now. At least I do -- but then, I
watch this movie for many, many years. :)

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org