[governance] ICANN head warns against putting Internet addresses

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun May 30 07:48:11 EDT 2010

Parminder,

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
<snip>

> This tendency extends much beyond ICANNists, the press in the North etc to
> also many in the civil society. It is of caricaturing in simplistic terms
> what the agenda of developing countries - including the more democratic
> among them - is at the global IG level. It is taken to be simple ' CONTROL
> (in deliberate caps) the Internet in order to control FoE'.
>
> And this single perspective completely blocks out all the other genuine
> concerns developing countries have vis a vis the  governance  of the
> Internet at the global level, when they can see how Internet keeps on
> increasingly to be shaped by the corporates and governments of the North to
> serve their partisan interests.

Once again, your speculation runs contrary to my experience.

tomorrow for example, I am flying to Kigali for the AfNOG/AfriNIC meetings.

Here is a list of the registered attendees for the Public Policy meeting:

http://meeting.afrinic.net/afrinic-12/index.php/register/participants-list

of 125 folk on this list, I count:

36 PS 28.8%
30 CS 25%
20 Govs 16%
19 Internet Tech Community 15%
7 Intergovernmentals 6%

The remainder I couldn't categorise.

If these numbers are not acceptable to you, what percentages would be
acceptable to you?

> The same people who are often most vocal in asserting that  (1) the Internet
> is increasingly a part of almost all parts of our social life, and of almost
> every social structure , and (2) the Internet is inherently global, are
> strangely mute when it comes to the obvious implications of these assertions
> - that the governance of the Internet is an extremely important issue, and
> that it has to be done by all people, groups and nations in a democratic
> manner and not left to a few corporates and the more powerful governments.

My numbers above show that it is not "left to a few corporates and the
more powerful governments".  When folk like the Grameen Foundation,
Our Rights, and the International Foundation For African Children turn
up to help determine African IP addressing policy, I think we have a
fairly inclusive, democratic IG "regime" to point to.

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org