[governance] ICANN declined Bulgarian IDN fast-track request

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri May 28 20:45:41 EDT 2010

On 28 May 2010, at 18:35, Lee W McKnight wrote:

> And while partial to .br for many reasons, I can't imagine why people or machines would confuse b with cyryllic script regularly.
>
> In fact it would seem o be a rather low probability action for either people or machines to get the 2 confused.

not that gtld review criteria have any relevance to idn cctld evaluation that i know of.
but:

and if they were to follow the criteria, untested as they are, for new gTLDs, then it is not the possibility of confusion that counts but the likelihood of confusion.  and one could ask how many Bulgarians or others  were likely to be confused.

> 2.1.1.1.1 Review Procedures
> The String Similarity Panel’s task is to identify visual string
> similarities that would create a probability of user
> confusion.

> Standard for String Confusion – String confusion exists where
> a string so nearly resembles another visually that it is likely to
> deceive or cause confusion. For the likelihood of confusion
> to exist, it must be probable, not merely possible that
> confusion will arise in the mind of the average, reasonable
> Internet user. Mere association, in the sense that the string
> brings another string to mind, is insufficient to find a
> likelihood of confusion.

so the question is, does it meet these conditions?  if so, i would suggest standing down.

on the other hand if people who know what they are talking about can attest that there is no probability of confusion, you might have  leg to stand on.

but again, new gTLD draft criteria don't really hold a lot of water, just a place to start a discussion.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org