[governance] CSTD

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 23 14:26:35 EDT 2010

>> Also, let me say that for us this is the principle element of
>> devleopment agenda in IG. Without an appropriate political space
>> there is no meaning of political agendas.
>
> So ICANN's contractual link to the USG and being under California law
> have a clear and presumably negative linkage to development?  By which
> I don't mean governmental political preferences, but rather
> development per se.  I'm open to persuasion, please make the case.
Of course, ICANN under unilateral USG control has strong development
implications. I am surprised that you dont seem to think so. It can only
be so if you see development in a very apolitical sense. And with
promoting a 'political vision of development'  I too do not mean just
narrow interests of  existing  governments  in developing countries.
There is no development per se, separate from politics of development.

It is largely because  of  such  control  that  the whole  ICANN
system  is informed by a strong almost exclusive commercial logic, and
controlled largely by dominant US based commercial interests. A more
legitimate global oversight would certainly be more attuned to global
public interest, and also to the differential interests of developing
countries. It will be more attuned to the context and needs of
development in many ways.

Also, security too is an important element/ aspect of development.
Developing countries cannot leave ICANN plus under unilateral US
control, it  affect the security related interests of its people. BTW,
US appointed its first cyber warfare general this week.

see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/23/us-appoints-cyber-warfare-general

Apart from direct threats, military domination is used in many indirect
ways - for economic, political, social and cultural dominations. Is all
that not development related?

Does this make a case of development linkage of unilateral US oversight
of ICANN plus? I myself am open to be persuaded otherwise.

Rgds

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org