[governance] CSTD

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun May 23 09:04:12 EDT 2010

On 23/05/2010, at 6:49 PM, William Drake wrote:

>> But it is our view, the reason ITU is able to increasingly appropriate it is only because a more legitimate and appropriate process of EC has not started. and all those who stay quiet and non-comittal on EC, in fact not actively promote movement towards such a process, strengthen the hand of ITU kind of process.
>
> Total agreement.  Was also an argument for IGF.
>> There is no point in  keeping on making statements that we want more multistakeholderism without supporting and coming out with meaningful alternatives.
>
> Yes, although it's difficult to imagine what a decently configured space could look like, which has probably contributed to the lack of enthusiastic uptake of the challenge.

Do we want to argue that a reconfigured, rebooted and renewed IGF could be this space?  Many times we have heard all the arguments why it shouldn't be (it will stifle free discussion, lead to polarisation and politicking, blah blah) but (co-coordinator hat off) that is frankly just a cop-out, as there is no reason why these potential problems can't be methodically tackled and addressed with enough thought and care, and a bit more creativity than has been shown to date.  If we as civil society want an IG process that includes us adequately, the IGF could be the perfect starting point to build one, and now would be the time to start advocating for this.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

CI is 50
Consumers International marks 50 years of the global consumer movement in 2010.
Celebrate with us as we continue to support, promote and protect consumer rights around the world.
http://www.consumersinternational.org/50

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.