[governance] On the continuation of the IGF

anja anja at cis-india.org
Tue May 11 06:23:07 EDT 2010

Dear Johan,

Sorry for my delayed reply, I was traveling all day yesterday, and am in a
workshop today.

I don't think the list of workshops is up on the IGF website yet, but
unless there is another workshop that particularly looks at IG from an
activist perspective, I think it makes sense in the case of our workshop
not to give in too easily to pressure to merge. It is an angle that hasn't
been covered before, and attracts a constituency that so far hasn't felt at
home too much in the IGF.  At the same time, it is a topic that is of great
importance for people from developing and developed countries alike, and we
have made a real effort to have regional diversity in the workshop.

I am not sure if they will request us to merge either in fact, so in that
sense there may not even be a need to worry.  The Gender DC workshop last
year, for example, too, was never asked to merge with something else. I
think they generally start from workshops where there is a clear overlap.

If requests to merge will come, I presume they will be with workshops that
have a human rights perspective more generally.  I would try to resist this
as long as possible (arguing the above), but if there is no other way, we
could merge, I guess, provided that the other organisers too are genuinely
willing to make space in the final workshop for the specific perspective of
activists to come out.

Hope this is helpful, and not yet too late.  Good luck with it!

Warm wishes,
Anja

http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/un-dpadm/unpan039074.pdf

     governance at lists.cpsr.org